Zirconium Crowns Treatment
Zirconium dental veneer is the highest quality product that has been reached to date in the field of aesthetics, tissue compatibility, durability and naturalness, which are the basic requirements of dentistry.
Zirconium infrastructure is a white metal found in nature and extracted more easily like “granites”. Therefore, porcelains with white background are obtained, as a difference from metal-supported or metal-based porcelains, which are still widely used today. In addition, it is much more resistant to compression and tensile forces than normal metal, making it an excellent alternative especially for the oral environment where both horizontal and vertical forces such as biting and crushing are applied a lot.
We prefer zirconium-based porcelains because they are aesthetic enough to be used on anterior teeth and because they are strong enough to be used on posterior teeth. Treatments with zirconium increase the quality of life of people.
In which dental disorders is zirconium crowns treatment used?
Hereditary structure discoloration in advanced (antibiotic, fluorine, etc.) colorations that do not yield results with methods such as bleaching,
In people whose teeth have been cut before,
Joining split teeth (diastema closure),
In people with metal-supported bridge-crown (veneer) in their mouth,
In the correction of broken teeth,
In the correction of old tooth fillings that have discolored and structured,
Correction of crooked and crooked teeth (as an alternative to orthodontic treatment),
Zirconium treatment can be applied in teeth with excessive material loss that cannot be filled.
What are the advantages of zirconium dental veneer over conventional tooth veneer?
• Hot cold sensitivity does not develop with its insulating feature.
• With its light-permeable structure, zirconium is very similar to the natural tooth structure and creates aesthetics in the mouth. Even metal-supported porcelains that are very well made have a dullness and artificiality. For this reason, zirconium treatment can be preferred especially in anterior teeth.
• Metal-supported porcelain crown-bridge (veneers) are mechanically bonded to the tooth. Zirconium is attached to the tooth mechanically and chemically. Therefore, its durability is much higher than metal supports.
•Metal-supported porcelains give the appearance of a dark space in the mouth as if it were not present in some lights. In zirconium, they pass all kinds of light close to the same natural tooth.
• Since there is no metal in its substructure, there is no dark line at the crown-gingival level. Thus, a more aesthetic appearance is provided.
•Since porcelain surfaces will be extremely smooth, it minimizes tooth staining and tartar formation caused by smoking and similar reasons.
•Teeth do not change color due to external factors such as coffee, tea and cigarettes.
•Zirconium is a healthy material that does not cause taste disorders, gum problems and bad breath.
• The pressure and bruises that occur on the gums due to the metal-supported porcelain crowns made previously are completely eliminated by the application of zirconium (veneers) crowns, and an aesthetic and natural appearance is obtained.
• When the gingiva recedes, zirconium preserves its aesthetic appearance, while metal-supported porcelain creates a bad appearance in the area where it joins the tooth.
• There is no risk of allergy to some metals (nickel, etc.) used in the infrastructure in porcelains with zirconium substructure.
• Since it is perfectly compatible with our body, it can be used easily in people who have gum disease or who are prone to gum disease.
•Zirconium has a very good compatibility with the gingiva and does not cause gingival problems if oral hygiene is given importance.
How is a zirconium crowns prepared?
The preparation of zirconium teeth is the same as with classical metal-supported porcelain, but the difference begins in laboratory procedures. Zirconiums can be made with devices with computer technology. In this method, the measurements taken from the patient’s mouth are scanned on optical readers in the computer environment. It is cut and shaped by computer from zirconium sheets by means of milling systems without human touch.
The data obtained with the help of the camera is uploaded to the computer. Then the designs (CAD) are made and the production (CAM) starts.
With these developed technologies, zirconium is successfully used in single-tooth crown restorations, 3-6 member bridges, and over-implant crown-bridge works.
The success of the material has been proven in medicine and industry. As a result of the researches started in 1998, clinical applications have been started all over the world since the beginning of 2002. With this new application, the aesthetic concerns of the patient in metal-ceramic restorations are definitely eliminated.
How is zirconium dental crown applied?
While the zirconium dental crown is being made, the three-dimensional structure of the teeth is transferred to the computers with scanners after the teeth are cut. This scanning process is of two types. In the first operation, as soon as the teeth are cut, the image is transferred to the digital environment with the help of intraoral scanners and camera, without placing any impression material in the patient’s mouth, and after this process, the planning is completely computerized.